Laparoscopic Procedures – Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy
Please note- Within 24 hours of your Operation You Should Not:
- Drive a car or take public transport unaccompanied.
- Operate Machinery or consume alcohol
- Sign any legal documents or make any responsible decisions.
- Take Paracetamol 2 Tabs 4-6 hourly if required
- Stronger analgesia such as Endone or Tramadol may be prescribed and can be taken if needed as per instructions for the first few days
- Do not drive or operate machinery if taking prescribed medication.
- There are no dietary restrictions. Aim to eat nourishing, healthy foods but to avoid post-operative constipation please increase fluid and fibre intake
- Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy patients may occasionally experience loose motions which resolves spontaneously
- Avoid lifting heavy objects greater than 15kgs or engage in vigorous exercise for a period of 4 weeks.
- Slowly increase your activity levels over this time. Light housework and gardening may be undertaken if no discomfort
- You may drive your car when you feel confident and safe to do so.
Care of Wound:
- If you have clear plastic dressings, leave in place until your review appointment. These are waterproof and you may shower as normal.
- Please change your dressings if they get wet or become smelly. Call the rooms nurse if you are unsure of what to do.
- Any sutures will be removed at your follow-up appointment with your Surgeon.
- Some bruising and swelling around the wound and abdomen is normal
- Attend your post-operative appointment that will be made for you prior to discharge from Hospital.
- If you do not have a post-operative appointment booked prior to discharge please call our Rooms on 9210 7278 to arrange one.
- Please call our rooms if any of the following occur:
- If you experience any problems with your wound, including abnormal redness, pain, smell or discharge.
- You develop a fever, or get hot/cold flushes.
- Your pain is not being relieved by the analgesia you are using.
- If after-hours call your GP or for urgent matters after-hours present to the Emergency Department & notify our rooms during business hours on the following business day.